Everybody is well aware of the warning signs associated with a clogged drain. The signs include excess water, pooling around the feet in the washroom or in the kitchen sink, a foul and unpleasant odor, excess hair, etc. Often, we tend to feel too lazy to do something about this, and sometimes, we just wait for the plumber to arrive and do some work. This is not a wise decision and requires immediate attention. The blocked drain can be a source of severe problems. Take a close look at 5 easy hacks through which you can clean clogged drains.
- Clean the Drains Using A Bent Wire Hanger
This is a simple and quite effective method to clean the clogged drains. Use a simple wire hanger and straighten the entire thing as much as possible. Now you need to bend one end of it to form a hook. Push this end through the drain cover and begin fishing. The ultimate goal is to pull out all the hair and dirt. Be careful not to shove it down further inside. After you manage to get everything out of the drain, pour clean water to end the process.
- Cleaning the Clogged Drains While Using Common Ingredients
Even if you don’t know how to master the art of plumbing, you can still manage to clean a blocked drain by using household things. Here are some examples of such ways:
- Take 1/3 of a cup of vinegar and the same amount of baking soda in the measuring cup. It will fizz and you have to pour the entire thing down the blocked drain. The fizzing part is supposed to remove the hair, grease and the excess dirt inside the pipe. You need to wait for a couple of hours, or you can wait for an entire night also. After that, use hot water to clean the entire mess.
- Apart from vinegar, you can use table salt also. You need to add ½ cup of table salt to ½ cup of baking soda and pour the mixture down the blocked drains. After twenty minutes or so, pour boiled water. The chemical reaction between water, salt, and baking soda are supposed to clean the blockage.
- For particularly the toilet and kitchen sink, add ¼ cup of liquid dish soap in a bowl and add some boiling water to it. The soap helps in clearing the greasy dirt. You can use a plunger or a rubber glove to clean.
- Cleaning with The Help of Caustic Soda
Caustic soda is known as sodium hydroxide, which can burn your skin. Since it is capable of causing a problematic chemical burn, you need to make use of protective rubber gloves as well as adequate eye protection. You can get it from any local hardware store. Add ¾ gallon of clean and cold water in a bucket and add 3 cups of caustic soda to it. It will start fizzing and heating up. Then pour the mixture inside the blocked drains and let it sit for twenty to thirty minutes. In the end, clean it with boiled water. You can repeat the entire action if requires.
- Using A Drain Snake
If you want to use a reasonably priced tool you can use a drain snake. It is a long and flexible metallic rope with a metal shaped like a spiral at its end.
- Cleaning the Pipe Inside
You need to place a bucket under the pipe beneath the sinks. The bucket is used to collect the spilling water. Then use a wrench to lose the slip nuts of the pipe. After the pipe is free, remove it and pour the content into the bucket. Then rinse it with boiling water.