For this activity, we used:
brown and black construction paper
1. To protect our work surface, I used OLD cookie sheets (I really need to try out that Pinterest trick for cleaning them!) and put a sheet of paper on them. You could also line your table with newspaper.
2. I gave each of the kids a coffee filter and red, orange, and yellow markers. This was a huge treat since we NEVER use permanent markers around here :) The kids had fun coloring their coffee filters with the markers. If you want your pumpkins to look more "pumkin-y", I'd recommend just using orange and yellow markers.
3. Then, the kids sprayed their coffee filters with a water bottle. This was their favorite part. The more water you use, the more your colors with blend.
4. We let our pumpkins dry overnight.
5. The next day, we added construction paper stems and jack-o-lantern faces to complete our pumpkins.
This was a great, simple craft for the little ones.
Just be careful that they don't try to eat the markers :)