The older I get, the more I have come to love Halloween by seeing it through the eyes of my children. The parties, costumes, pumpkin-carving, crafts, and CANDY have made it second to only Christmas (and maybe Easter) in our house. And, while I love their little footprint ghosts and ADORE our Halloween Countdown Tree traditions, I know that the highlight of the holiday for them is the mounds and mounds of candy. With five kids, we get A LOT of candy. Last year, our sweet neighbors even insisted on handing over bags of treats to our 3-month-old! (Her brothers didn't mind helping her out with that!).
Over the years, we've come up with ways to enjoy our candy AND protect our teeth from the sugary acid that comes with it:
- Eat it! - There's nothing wrong with sugar in moderation and enjoying all that hard-earned trick-or-treating treasure (or just sneaking some of your kids' stash). In our house, we allow the kids to enjoy a few of their favorites that night and then they can pick a piece each morning to put in their lunch boxes. The kids love spreading it out this way and we don't have to argue about when and if they can have more candy. I want to help them learn to enjoy the treats they love while also establishing good health and hygiene habits, like brushing those pearly whites each night before bed!
- Trade it! - Some parents choose to have their kids trade their candy for another prize like a toy, book, or experience. This works especially well for children with allergies who may feel left out when half of their loot contains peanut products or other ingredients that they can't have. I've even seen kids who leave their candy out for the Tooth Fairy who picks it up and leaves a present behind instead.
4. Experiment with it! - My kids absolutely love these candy science experiments featuring their favorite goodies. Find out which candies sink or float, make letters float, or watch sour candies fizz. The kids will even enjoy creating their own candy experiments.
5. Learn with it! - Kids will have fun sorting, counting, and graphing with these hands-on Candy Math activities.
6. Bake with it! - The holidays offer the perfect opportunities for yummy desserts that can be shared with lots of people. We love to bake cookies using a mix of all our favorite candy bars, except for the Snickers! Those get saved for this amazing Snickers Trifle dessert that is always a hit at our holiday gatherings.
7. Craft with it! - Use that frozen, leftover candy for candy trains,birthday candy wreaths, or whip up your own candy paints to keep your little artist busy!
8. Donate it! - Send the wrapped candy in your Operation Christmas Child Shoe boxes or to Operation Gratitude. Make sure you check with your organization to see what restrictions they may have.
9. Gift it! - Last year, we used the part of our leftover Halloween candy to fill these fun Turkey Candy Cans for the boys' teachers. The teachers loved them and the boys loved making them!
No matter how you choose to enjoy your candy this year, you can protect your teeth from sugar acid by brushing twice a day with Aquafresh® Cavity Protection Toothpaste. Aquafresh® toothpaste helps protect tooth enamel from damage caused by sugar acids and also helps protect your teeth against cavities. The whole family can benefit from brushing twice a day, especially after a day spent enjoying holiday treats!
And Aquafresh® toothpaste wants to help you provide even more holiday fun for the whole family!
What’s your favorite way to take care of your teeth this Halloween?
Tell me in the comments for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card.
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 10/1/2015 – 10/31/2015
Be sure to visit Aquafresh® toothpaste’s brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!