It might surprise you that when most women are asked what they want for Mother's Day, it's not expensive jewelry, flowers, cars, or other gifts. The most precious things you can do for your mom won't cost you a thing:
1. Let Her Sleep In! - When asked about their perfect day, most moms will start out with sleeping in. Sleep is a precious gift for all mothers, especially with young children! Our boys rarely sleep past 6am and by that time I've usually been up to feed the baby. I absolutely adore Saturday morning when my husband lets me sleep in until 7:30am! For some of you that still sounds like an early morning, but for me it's a little piece of heaven!
2. Write A Poem or Card. - I can't remember many of the Mother's Day gifts that I've given my mother over the years. Maybe she can, but I doubt it. There is one present, though that still stands on her nightstand almost 15 years later. When I was a teenager, I wrote a poem for my mother about all the things I loved about her and all the things she had done for me. I printed it out on some stationary that I had and bought a cheap frame for it...actually, I may have just taken another picture out of a frame I already had. At the time, I felt bad for not spending any money on the gift. Now, I wish I had spent more time on it.
3. Do A Chore That She Hates. - Does your Mom hate to do the laundry? Go ahead and do a couple loads for her. Are bathrooms the bane of her existence (like they are mine)? Make sure that she wakes up to sparkling clean tubs and toilets. So much of what moms do is taken for granted. Show her that you recognize all the hard work that she puts in, and help to take some of that load off of her.
4. Make Breakfast/Dinner For Her - I know this isn't the case in all households, but in most homes moms do the bulk of the cooking. Fixing three meals and two snacks every day can become a tedious chore for even the most ardent cook! For Mother's Day, serve up one of your mom's favorite meals and don't forget the dishes! She'll love you for it!!
5. Give Her Time to do What She Loves! - Moms with young children rarely have time for themselves. Sacrificing time for beloved hobbies like reading and gardening is just par for the course of motherhood and most moms are happy to do it, but what better gift than to give mom a few hours to craft, sew, scrapbook, read a book, plant some flowers, go shopping, get a haircut, or anything else that will make her happy. I know I'm always happier after I've had a few hours to get my hair done or make something fun for our home.
Now, I know that most of you reading this ARE the mothers with little ones at home, so feel free to forward this on to your husbands. In fact, I may go ahead and post this to my husband's Facebook wall so he'll be sure to see it :)
Want more ideas for spending time with your kids? Be sure to follow us on Facebook or Pinterest and sign up for emails to keep up with all the latest crafts, activities, and kid-friendly recipes!